Wednesday, April 6, 2016

     Every so often, I try something that I hope is good but end up realizing that it's not so good.  That's the case with this week's food review of Pirate's Booty Mac and Cheese Mild Cheddar.

     From the picture on the box, it doesn't look that bad, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I don't normally eat boxed macaroni and cheese, I prefer the homemade stuff but I'd give it a shot since their basic snack was so good (see prior review for more info about that).  So I made sure to follow the directions on the box, to ensure that the dish would come out as specified and possibly look like it does on the box, here's the resulting dish.


     Well, it did come out looking like a classic from-the-box macaroni and cheese dish, but that's also where the problems started with this dish.  The actual dish came out much milder in color to the image on the box, although it doesn't look so bad in the picture I took of it.  I thought that maybe the color doesn't show how much flavor is actually packed into this dish.  It did make about a bowlful of food, and there was also a 1/4 cup of milk and a tablespoon of butter in it as well, so there's a possibility for some richness of flavor here.

     Again, I was disappointed in my hopes, the flavor was so very mild that I actually went to the fridge and added some shredded colby jack cheese to it in order to give it a better cheese flavor.  Now let's think about that for a second, I had to add shredded cheese to mac & cheese in order to get a cheese flavor out of it.  That's not a good thing and I was not pleased with it.

     While I would not buy this version again, I have heard that other version of their mac and cheese are much better and have placed well among different tests so who knows.  I think I will try a different one next time, but I'm not trying their mild cheddar one again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment