Friday, June 16, 2017

French Lemon and Roasted Garlic Chicken

     Alright you scallywags, here's a new recipe for the lot of ya. I recently tried my hand at a low-sodium dish (me blood pressure be a bit too high) and it was really good! So let me be sharing it with you all.

French Lemon and Roasted Garlic Chicken
by Ellen Brown


Ingredients:
1 (3.5-4 pound) Frying Chicken, cut into serving pieces with each breast cut lengthwise in half
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 Olive Oil
2 Heads Garlic, broken into cloves but not fully peeled (leave the last skin on)
1 C Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 C Lemon Juice (or lime if you prefer)
2 Tbl Fresh Parsely, chopped (optional in my opinion)

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 400°, and grease a 10x14-inch baking pan.
2) Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
3) Sprinkle chicken with black pepper and rub with thyme
4) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then place chicken in pan, skin side down.
5) Brown chicken for 2 minutes per side, or until browned, and then transfer chicken to baking dish using tongs
6) Add garlic cloves to the skillet and brown for 2 minutes, then add the chicken broth and juice to the skillet.
7) Bring to a boil and then pour over the chicken
8) Bake chicken for 25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165° in the thickest piece (usually the thigh)
9) Season to taste with black pepper and parsely (I didn't add anymore black pepper or parsley and I thought it was very good)

     I looked through several low-sodium cookbooks to find one that made my stomach growl with anticipation and this recipe really got my interest.  You can use lemon juice or lime juice in this and I opted for the lime juice and boy was it good! I thought this was incredibly tasty and it was quite healthy as well, so if any of ye have a bit of high blood pressure, check out this recipe and more in the book $3 Low-Sodium Meals by Ellen Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment