Friday, April 13, 2018

Coffee Shop of Horror's Kill-Devil Rum-Ble

     Last weekend I had the pleasure of going to Spooky Empire's horror convention in Orlando, FL and had an absolute blast with a dear friend that's like a sister to me.  The celebrity guests were awesome and friendly as could be, I even got a high five from Matthew Lillard as he walked by going to his photo op session.  The attendees, exhibitors, and tattoo artists were in good spirits and very friendly as well.  One shop that caught my eye was the Coffee Shop of Horror (yes, that's a take off of the classic Little Shop of Horrors movie) and everything they sell is inspired by something for both flavor and artwork. 


     For this trip, I bought a bag of Kill-Devil Rum-Ble coffee.  It's a rum caramel flavored coffee and I've been using it all week for iced coffees.  I use a Ninja coffee maker for single cups, large travel cups, and iced coffee and this coffee works perfectly in it.  The coffee is smooth and they use a Colombian bean for this blend, all the while, blending in perfectly the flavor of a nice rum caramel sauce.


     I have also used this for just a nice cup of coffee in the morning or at night and when it's brewing, the house is filled with the delightful smell of this blend.  This is much easier than trying to make a batch of rum caramel anyways, haha!

     At the convention, all the bags are whole bean and they will grind it to your desired grind when you purchase them or you can select your grind when you order online.  Although the best thing to do is get a coffee grinder and keep the beans whole until you need them, they will last longer and retain the wonderful flavors better as well.  Although the bag I bought this past Sunday won't last long enough to worry about that as I've been using it every day.

     One trick I like to use for adding sugar to my drinks is that I make a big batch of simple syrup every so often.  It lasts for a very very long time and since the sugar is already melted, it blends in almost instantly and there's no sugar crystals sitting at the bottom of your glass.  I have included a basic recipe for simple syrup and you can find lots of ones online for flavored version but this is the basic and most versatile.

Simple Syrup
1) Pour equal parts water and sugar into a saucepan.
2) Heat the ingredients over medium heat until dissolved and just starting to boil.
3) Remove from heat and let cool.
4) Pour syrup into a container and keep in the fridge until time to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment