Saturday, September 15, 2018

Bumbu Rum

     Being the pirate I am, I have been exploring more rums as of late.  Recently I was attracted to this beautiful bottled rum.




     A little about Bumbu rum before I review it.  This rum is made on the island of Barbados, one of the Caribbean islands and an island that boasts to have been making rum for about 400 years.  This naturally sparked my interest so I went and bought myself a bottle to try.

     The water used in this rum is naturally purified as it is forced through the limestone that makes up the island, so they do not have to further purify or distill the water in order to use it like some rum makers need to do.  Even their sugarcane is specific to the area as they only select what they view as the best amongst the islands of the West Indies.

     This rum is a 70 proof rum that is a good dual-purpose rum, meaning you can mix it or enjoy it by itself, although I like my rums on the rocks in most cases.  The flavor is a well-blended mix of local spices, with one outstanding difference from other spiced rums.  It has the distinct hint of banana!  This is not to be confused with the Pirate Piss soda I reviewed previously, which tasted like banana runts.  Bumbu rum has a strong note of natural banana flavor, but not so strong that it overpowers the spices used in it.  This makes it a pleasant change of pace from the traditional spiced rums that can kind of blend together after a while.

     The bottle is a nice, heavy glass bottle that's sporting a beautiful tarnished X on it, surrounded by raised glass print.  The back of the bottle tells us a little about the rum and has a map of the Caribbean just above the description. Even the cork in the bottle is unique as it sports an X on the top and every time you open the bottle, it gives you a nice 'POP' sound.

     I think this rum will be added to my regular supply as it's reasonably priced at about $30-35 a bottle for 750 ml and for me, it will last a while.  I do believe that I'll even be keeping this bottle just because of how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment