Friday, February 5, 2016

Not all rums are created equal, as I prove with this review from last year.

     This was back from the celebration of St. Augustine's 450th birthday.  We started the day off with some rum, but not just any rum, the 1st release of the St. Augustine Distillery's Discovery series rum!


      A quick blurb about the Distillery for those that might not know of it. It used to be an ice plant back in the days before refrigeration and was converted into a distillery and a bar/restaurant, opening up just last year. They first released their sugar cane vodka and Florida Mule drink, both of which I thoroughly enjoy when I can get there for their great tour.

      Now back to the rum. They are planning on releasing 4 different rums over the next several months, each one being aged a little differently and using a different mix of sugarcanes and syrups. This was the first one to be released and I was not impressed, I am hoping the others will be better.

     Please understand, I am by no means a rum snob. I enjoy all different kinds of rums and like to arrange my rums into 3 catagories:
1) Mixers - These are rums I would rather use to make mixed drinks than drink straight
2) Sippers - These rums I would gladly drink by itself, no need to mix here
3) Dual - These are rums I can enjoy straight or use in a mixed drink

     I tend to buy less expensive rums for 'Mixers,' more moderately priced ones for 'Dual,' and 'Sippers' tend to be more expensive. Although I need to be finding more prey for the latter.

     

     So here's my thoughts on the new rum from the Distillery, like I said, I was not impressed and I do like their vodka very much. The rum had a very mild flavor, that was easily overwhelmed by the tequila-like burn as I sipped it straight. I also tried it mixed and it was definitely better, but still not worth the hefty price tag of $46 a bottle. I would definitely put this rum in the 'Mixer' category, but at that price, I would rather save my money and buy something less expensive but just as good. I do hope that following releases will be getting better, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment